As extreme heat grips Fresno County and California this summer, I encourage you to take preventive measures to protect yourself and your loved ones. Here are some tips and information for dealing with the triple-digit weather:
• The California Department of Public Health offers these suggestions to prevent heat-related illnesses.
• Check in on your neighbors, especially seniors and those with health conditions.
• Sign up for California ISO’s Flex Alert notifications on their website, or by following them on Facebook and Twitter.
• Follow social media accounts for animal organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Humane Society and the ASPCA for helpful tips for protecting your pets.
• See if you meet income guidelines for the California Public Utilities Commission’s Energy Savings Assistance Program (ESA) to save money on the extra energy costs associated with extreme weather.
In addition, the City of Fresno offers cooling centers when triple-digit weather hits.
Fresno County offers information for cooling centers throughout the county.
You also can follow me on my Facebook and Twitter accounts, where I regularly post updates on heat-related topics. Stay safe!
Dr. Joaquin Arambula
Assemblymember, 31st District